Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My Chick-Fil-A Confusion

I was so excited to eat at Chick-Fil-A today to show my support but hubby may or may not be having a kidney stone so our plans are still up in the air.  I am just so baffled by this whole thing though.  As I was watching the news a minute ago, someone said they would not eat there because of Chick-Fil-A's policies.  Then I read this statement in a story about a politician who may or may not have used their official position to state her opinion on the issue.

“I support businesses that are open and inclusive -- that reflect the viewpoint of New York City, the most in diverse city in the world. That said, businesses that follow our laws have a right to open here,” said Quinn during the announcement of the city starting a career center for veterans.
Read more: here

Maybe I'm slow - and that's usually the case - but I don't understand what "policies" they are talking about.  Or how Chick-Fil-A is a business that is not open and inclusive.  I thought the issue was that the owner gave his money to the movement to keep the definition of marriage as between one man and one woman.  How does that affect the businesses policies?  Do they hire gay workers?  Yes.  Do they serve gay customers?  Yes.  How are they not being "open and inclusive"?  Do they block the doors when a gay person tries to walk in the door?  No - not that I've ever heard of anyway.  Now that would be a story...and a problem.  

I just don't get what the fuss is about.  There are tons of companies who DO support gay marriage.  I don't feel the need to boycott them.  I don't feel the need to call them haters and accuse them of not including people who believe in Christian values.  I don't think they are not being inclusive of me as a Christian.  

Again, like I said, I'm pretty slow.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

It's all about freedom of speech. Chick-Fil-A is being targeted because of the political opinion of the owner. So much for respect for diversity.