Friday, November 19, 2010

Kenneth Sheets Supports Ken Paxton for Speaker

I am so proud of my State Representative, Kenneth Sheets. Okay, Representative Elect Kenneth Sheets. Out of the gate the first major issue for him seemed to be who to support for speaker of the house. There are 3 men running for the position. The current speaker, Joe Straus, does not have a record that reflects true conservatism. He is not pro-life - he has a 100% rating from NARAL. From a post on Red State:
Joe Straus has a 100% rating from NARAL, but the same people saying Straus is conservative also say he is pro-life. I’m sorry, but pro-lifers do not get 100% ratings from NARAL nor do their spouses sit on the boards of abortion organizations.

Pro-lifers are not honored by Planned Parenthood, but Joe Straus was.
He placed several Democrats in key positions, including the Chair of Calendars.
The Chair of Calendars is the second most powerful leadership position in the Texas House because he sets the legislative calendar. If you want to kill conservative legislation, put a liberal in as the Chair of Calendars.
The flip side of Joe Straus is Ken Paxton.
Ken Paxton, on the other hand, received a 100% rating from Empower Texans. In contrast to Straus, he received a 0% rating from NARAL, a 97% rating from the Young Conservatives of Texas and an A+ from the NRA. Rock solid, you say? It gets better. Paxton sponsored legislation that would create stronger spending limits in Texas government in 2005, 2007 and 2009 and was lead author on cutting-edge transparency legislation in 2007.
Read more here and here.

So I've been reading all of this and getting more and more passionate about the fact that Joe Straus needs to be OUT and Ken Paxton needs to be IN. For the very first time in my life, I called a politician to ask them to vote a certain way. Okay, to be honest, the representative called me to ask about something else and then I told him how I felt. But I intended to call him! He politely informed me that he was still undecided. But then today I got the following. I'm so proud of Kenneth for his courage in following his convictions as well honoring the values of the people in his district!

Kenneth Sheets Endorse Ken Paxton for Speaker

No comments: