Monday, September 10, 2007

When it rains, it pours!! And it poured today!

So I just made a new folder in my bookmarks - Teacher Stuff. I don't want a Teacher Stuff folder in my bookmarks. I wanted to wait until next year to have a Teacher Stuff folder in my bookmarks. Oh well. I felt horribly unprepared today even after a weekend of planning and thinking about it so I've got a lot of work to do tonight. I need more creative stuff to do with these kids.

Another thing I'll have to work on tonight is googling the term "invisible voices" and see if there really is such a thing...because I swear mine is invisible at school. Today I said a child's name 3 times and then started saying his whole name. The only thing that got him to finally look at me was the fact that I pronounced his last name wrong and he was very put out with me. It didn't matter that I was very put out that he didn't respond to me at all! I've tried flashing the lights, ringing a bell, raising my voice, lowering my voice...not sure what there could be left to do. They just don't listen!

Oh yeah, and there was a monsoon when we arrived at school this morning. Seriously. There were 3 teachers just sitting in their cars for about 10 minutes waiting for it to abate but it didn't. We all finally had to make do. One teacher, who also has kids, motioned to me to watch her car parked next to me to make sure no one came and stole her kid - like anyone is out in that weather stealing kids but you never know these days - while she ran one of hers up. She then returned to get the other and was so sweet as to return to get one of mine so I could run up with the other. I then ran back out to get my bag and hers. We left the kids stuff in the car and decided we'd wait and see if it slowed down and get it later. I'm not exaggerating when I say that my pant legs were completely soaked all the way up to the knee. The carpet right at the edge of the van had gotten soaked so when I knelt to get the girls unbuckled it soaked the knees too. Then the umbrella got caught in the car as I tried to get Big Bear out and so my back got completely soaked. It was just gross. I got re-wet when I went back out to get the girls' things when it didn't stop raining.

As it turns out, there was no reason for me to go back out to get Me Too's things as her teachers apparently needed none of them. I'm a little put out with these teachers. First, I walked by and saw Me Too with not one but two sippy cups in her hands - neither were hers and she drank out of both. She has a terrible runny nose so I apologize to the mommies of the other kids she infected while the teachers BOTH had their backs turned to the kids!!!!!! Later, I saw her eating another little girl's lunch right off her plate. Once the little girl turned around and saw her she stopped. Then, the real kicker, when I picked her up at the end of the day she had a stinky diaper...for the 2nd time in a row. They're supposed to change them right before pick up. I didn't notice until we were getting into the car...the car with the completely soaked carpet...so I couldn't change her there. Then I got home I found 2 diapers in her backpack...I sent her this morning with 2 diapers. They didn't change her diaper ALL day. I am livid at this point. Luckily she doesn't have a rash or anything. That is just terrible. I'll be having a nice little talk with the director when I get there in the morning. They are both new teachers so I'm hoping it is just a matter of them not knowing but with all of what I saw today added together, I just don't feel confident that they are keeping a good eye on the classroom.

Well, that was my terrible, no good, very bad day in a nutshell. I'm so glad to be home, dry and eating yummy chips & dip that Doug made last night. I've got to go call Doug and ask him to get Me Too some medicine on the way home.

No comments: