Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sharing NFP - Helpful Information

I love this article - Do's and Don'ts of Sharing NFP.

Don’t condemn their current or past choices. Our culture embraces contraception as something we are entitled to, a basic right. They may be choosing contraception because they don’t know that there is another way.  

This one is easy for me.  I used to use artificial contraception so who am I to talk?  Throwing the first stone and all of that.

Don’t judge. Using NFP doesn’t automatically make one a saint. We all have our own sins and struggles to overcome. Remember: “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone.” 
 This one is hard for me.  I tend to think that anyone else that uses NFP is perfect and that it means they are SUPER Catholics.  I don't know how many times I've thought to myself, "But they use NFP" when I hear of them acting a certain way or of their marriage having problems etc.  Then I have to remind myself that SO DO I and I'm far from a SUPER Catholic - I'm barely even a kind of good one.
 Do talk about your cycle. When someone asks for a tampon in the bathroom because she was surprised by a period, mention offhand how you love the predictability you get from charting. 
 Believe it or not, just because I blog about it (or used to, I know, it's been a while) doesn't mean it's easy for me to actually talk about it in person.  I throw it in here and there after I know people for a while, but if they start to ask more questions about it or seem negative towards it, I quiet down a bit.

Go and read the rest of the article.  Good stuff!

No comments: