Sunday, November 28, 2010

Book Review: Little Star by Anthony DeStefano

We've had a gold bow at the top of our tree for, oh...how long have I been married? 11 years? So that's how long I've had that tree topper. It's pretty - the bow at the top and then long ribbons that trail down the tree. Last year I started thinking we needed something new but that's about as far as I got. This year I will be getting something new for our tree - a star. And it's all because of a sweet book I read - Little Star by Anthony DeStefano.

Everyone feels insignificant, unimportant, and incapable of achieving greatness at some point in their lives. Well, at least I know that I have...many times. Many must have thought the same thing about the Baby Jesus when he was born. Everyone was expecting a king, victor and deliverer. Instead, they got a delivery...of a tiny baby...in a stable. For all we know, Jesus may have felt all of those things growing up. Even if He knew He was meant for greatness, He may have wondered how he, a regular boy just like his friends in most ways, would ever achieve anything.

Little Star felt the same way. No one thought he was capable of accomplishing anything. He was tinier than any of the other stars. When they heard that a King was coming all of the stars began competing to shine the brightest to celebrate his birth. But when they saw the king, where he was born and who his family was, they felt they had been duped.

But Little Star does see the greatness in this baby King. And Little Star searches to find how he can serve this great person who has just come into the world. We learn that even the smallest and most insignificant of us can achieve amazing things as long as we are serving God...just like Baby Jesus did!

So this Advent, I am going to get a star for the top of my tree and as I gaze upon it, I will ask God what His plan is for me. This way, despite my inadequacy, I can achieve greatness for His kingdom.

Pick up Little Star by Anthony DeStefano today. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is adorable. My own children loved it and then I read it to my Pre-K class at school during Sun, Moon and Stars week and they loved it as well. In fact, the minute I finished reading it, they begged me to read it again! It will be a great addition to your Advent/Christmas collection!

No comments: