Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Let's Hope Those Whites Start Embracing What Is Right

I watched the inauguration today with the sense of awe any American has watching the peaceful transfer of power take place. For that little while, I was just an American - not a Republican, not a pro-life person scared to death of the future...just an American. I love the pomp and circumstance. I did a good job at losing myself in the moment. Joseph Lowery, a Methodist civil rights icon, gave the benediction at the inauguration. It was one of the few times I walked out of the room all morning so I didn't hear it. Later I heard that this man, who was lauded for his work in civil rights, said this in his prayer...
help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right."

Seriously? And I heard it reported that Obama laughed at this. So funny...ha ha.

Like I said, I did a good job at losing myself in the moment...but once the moment was over, I got over it. It really hit me just what happened today. A pro-abortion president was sworn into office. He gave an inauguration address about how we would make nice with the rest of the world again. He said a few things where he tried to sound real tough and scary to help us think we might not need to worry about national security. But as I watched, my eyes full of tears, President Bush and his family fly off, I suddenly became afraid. We have been safe since 9/11 and with Bush in charge I never worried. I am worried now. I do not feel safe. None of us are safe. Other countries know he is more worried about our popularity than our safety.

And then all of those poor people out there who were so excited, dancing and crying - they think that this man is the answer to everything. That he will pay for their cars and their homes. They are in for such a disappointment. He may do some good things but there is no way he can live up to all of their expectations. He is human, our government is made up of humans. Nothing is ever perfect. Nothing ever can be.

I pray for our new president. I like Julie's post with a link to another post about being part of the "loyal opposition". I hope for the best but am going to be realistic in my expectations. But especially, I pray for the lives of the unborn, the men and the women who will be forever changed if FOCA, God forbid, is passed.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

*sigh*
My heart is very heavy today, and I could not bear to watch TV. I watched a "House" marathon instead.
I really wish I could be happy to be an American, but right now I am not. I am very sad. FOCA will pass. As much as it pains me to say, it will.
I am hopeful for the future, and I am happy for the Black community of our country that they have a role model that isn't a rapper or an athlete to want to emulate. I understand how much this election has meant for civil rights.
But I cannot forget those whose rights will never be respected. Human rights for every single person, as long as they are born alive and breathing.
It's ironic and very very sad.

Real Life Sarah said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm scared for our country like never before, and I hope we'll be able to recognize it in four years. Thanks for sharing.