Friday, January 16, 2009

Book Review - The Domestic Church: Room by Room

I was driving home one day and listening to Catholic radio. The host of the show was interviewing Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle about her new book - The Domestic Church:Room by Room. She was explaining how the book helps mothers create their domestic church in their homes despite the business of our lives as mothers. I thought it sounded really interesting and was so excited just a few days later when I saw it was available for review through the Catholic book Reviewer program that I participate in through the Catholic Company. I quickly chose it!

This book is a study guide and can be used independently or as part of a group. The author goes room by room through the house and gives practical ways to bring our faith to the family. Mary DeTurris Poust explained it beautifully in her forward.
Donna takes us through each "room" of our lives, guiding us deeper into the mystery of our faith that exists in every corner of our domestic church and then sharing with us the tools and insights needed to coax that mystery out into the light of day where it can blossom into the kind of transforming love that we are called to be to one another


One of the more meaningful rooms to me is the Basement - The Foot of the Cross. She states:
Blessed Teresa of Calcutta has told us, "A living love hurts. Jesus, to prove his love for us, died on the Cross. The mother, to give birth to her child, has to suffer. If you really love one another properly, there must be sacrifice."
The list of sacrifices and suffering is endless, as is a mother's love. If we really love our children properly, there must be sacrifice; otherwise, there is no real love.
I really connected with this. The Lord keeps putting this lesson in front of me over and over. I am to die to self. The world tells us that we deserve to have all of the pleasures we can get our hands on. People do anything they can to avoid suffering...at all costs. This is not the way that God calls us to live though. Not that he wants us to suffer constantly or be unhappy. No, we are to find our joy in and through the sacrifice that we are called to because we know that by giving of our whole selves for love, we are truly united with His cross.

I was thrilled to get to read this book and would recommend it for all mothers. It would be such a great book to use for a women's book club. It's also good to use just as a quiet daily or weekly reflection for a mom on her own as I did it. There are questions at the end of each section to help reinforce the material as well as to get you to think more about it. It is well worth the time and I know I will refer to it often!

1 comment:

Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle said...

Thank you very much for your fabulous review! Have you seen my book, Grace Cafe: Serving up Recipes for Faithful Mothering, yet. It came out at the same time. I think you'll like it. :)

God bless!

Donna-Marie