Friday, September 5, 2008

My Blessed Life

I was at my monthly women's prayer group last Saturday. I was talking to a women there about the school that I work at where my kids go and are down the hall from me all of the time. Somewhere in the conversation I was talking about my mom keeping the kids for something I was doing and later mentioned that my mother in law was coming in this week while I go to a dr's appointment. At one point, the woman I was talking to blurted out in a wistful tone..."Stevie, you have the most blessed life. Lots of family support and an ideal job where your kids are with you all day. You are so lucky". While it is true, it was ironic that it came from this woman. She has 5 beautiful children and a wonderful husband who makes enough money for her to stay home and to have just built a beautiful new house - I mean gorgeous. She always seems to have it all together and never seems stressed about anything. She doesn't have any family nearby but they have tons of friends. Many times I have thought how lucky and blessed she is to have financial stability and many friends.

I haven't been able to get that conversation out of my head. I hear her say it over and over...especially when I'm feeling at my wits end. It is so true! I really do have a wonderful life. I'm tired and stressed and frazzled and worn to the bone...but I'm so happy, fulfilled and joyful!

  • I just finished my first week of school with a wonderful co-teacher and great students. I get to meet and be a part of the lives of so many children and their parents and families. I get to help them be prepared for kindergarten. I get to teach them about Jesus and the Bible. And all the while my children are down the hall from me learning all kinds of things and being loved by their wonderful teachers - my co-workers!
  • My co-teacher and I plus a co-worker from school are organizing the Pre-School CCD (Catholic Sunday School) and it starts on Sunday. While I admit that the past two weeks have been extremely stressful, busy and burdensome on my family because of my absence (physically and mentally), I also know that after CCD starts this Sunday, all of the really time consuming work will be over and life will go back to the normal busy routine that we know so well. And I have the privilege of being in charge (or co in charge!) of the program that is going to introduce our littles ones to our faith! What an honor! How could I ever have thought that I could tell the Lord no to that call? I tried - believe me! But I knew the first time I volunteered in a CCD class last year that I was called to do this.
  • My husband has a great job that he is really enjoying and feeling fulfilled in doing. Who can ask more for their husband? The only thing more I could ask is that we would get to a point where we felt we were getting ahead financially...on top of our debt, able to feel like everything is covered. But, I feel that we are on the road to getting there with this job.
  • My kids are healthy. Praise the Lord! After all of the stuff with Sam's transplant and other stories you hear about, I have to stop and thank God that everything is okay on that front.
I could go on and on. My parents and in-laws who help me with everything we need...babysitting, monetary, support, advice, guidance, friendship. My wonderful church community. My fun sister that I love hanging out with and talking to. A wonderful brother and sister in law and niece/goddaughter and baby #2 on the way!! And FOOTBALL STARTS THIS WEEKEND - WHOO HOO!!!! Well, technically it started last night but I didn't have my fantasy team ready yet so Sunday will be the first day that I really get into it!

Oh my goodness! I could go on and on!! But the kids are hungry for lunch! Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Sometimes it is very hard to understand someone else's perspective.

Jessica said...

It's easy to get so caught up in life that we forget to remember that it isn't always greener in someone else's back yard! The things that come so easy for one person could be the exact same things that some one else wishes she has!